Sunday, November 6, 2011

Buenos Aires Vacation - Day 3

Roberto Jeremías Bútler on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 7:57pm

So kids, it's my 3rd day in argentina and I'm still alive, luckily. As promised, first I'll describe my details of last night and then go on to what I did today.

So, last night after writing my blog, this girl named Margaret sent me a text and wanted to know if I wanted to go out with her and some friends. I actually met her through facebook, I commented on the Argentina network page, she saw it, looked at my profile and found out we had a mutual friend in common, Forrest Stewart. She's from Texas and basically doing the same thing I'm doing in Buenos Aires. Anyways, we met up last night at a bar called Carnal, and she had 3 other Americans with her. It was a nice, trendy , stylish bar and the best part was the beer only cost like 2 dollars. We just sat around, standing and talking and laughing and drinking. It was pretty awesome. Then Margaret and the others decided they wanted to go home, but luckily there was another guy there who was pretty wild, and he wanted to know if I wanted to stay around for the long haul. We decided to up it to the next level, so we ordered mixed drinks and said bye to Margaret... Now the fun begins!!!
I had to come back to the hostel to get my credit card so I could withdraw money from the ATM. At this point, I'm already trashed, so is this other American guy I'm with, and we're just coasting in the taxi back to my place. When we got in, it's like 2am and the hostel for some reason sells one liter beers for less than 2 dollars. WE bought one and split it (bad decision) and hopped in another taxi to hit up a new club called "INK". This club turned out to be kinda expensive, 35 peso cover, but for some reason they wouldnt take credit cards. The guy I was with ended up having to pay for everything htat I drank, which sucks, but I still got really trashed. We decided to hit on as many girls as possible, and we found two random girls just standing around. We started talking with them, one was from Brazil and one was from Argentina. He took the brazilian, and I took the argentine. We ended up dancing and talking with them for a while, it was really difficult because she was speaking Spanish and her accent was really bizarre.. Anyways, turns out she has a boyfriend (so she says), but gave me her number and told me to come out with her whenever... She says her boyfriend won't mind...Weird/cool? Anyways, those girls left and we were just left there, drunk and looking like the guys from Night at the Roxbury. We started dancing with another group of girls and they acutally all turned out to be American... We went up to buy drinks and this time, Joel decided to tip the guy 2 pesos (60 cents). For 60 cents, the dude was really happy and hooked us up! He gave us an extra shot and basically doubled our drinks! I love Buenos Aires. AFter this, the alcohol got to my head and I had to leave, so I left Joel with the American girls. I'll probably never see him again as he is travelling and I don't have hsi phone number, but he's definitely a cool wingman.
I hop in a taxi to go back home and arrive at the hostel, trashed, 7 am, and I ended up speaking french with this one guy from Montreal. I couldn't even make sentences and I definitely probably embarassed myself. I made my way back to my hostel and passed out.

Day 3-
So I wake up this morning, at around 3:45pm (the usual) and for some reason the only thing on my mind was Chinese food. I thought abotu looking for California Burrito Company again, but unfortunately they were closed (I called ahead this time). After fucking around on the internet for a bit, I decided to take my hungover ass to the neighborhood Belgrano for some good chinese food. Of course, I couldnt' figure out the buses, so I just ended up going over to the barrio San Telmo, which is a really awesome neighborhood to chill in. For lunch, I got half of a pizza topped with awesome mozarella cheese and a pepsi for roughly 2.50. Then I saw heaven: Mate gourds. If you guys don't know, Mate is a very popular loose leaf tea in Argentina and Uruguay.. Extremely popular. People drink mate EVERYWHERE.. Ever since my friend David Tedone let me try some mate one day, I've been dying to get my hands on some more, and most importantly the thing to drink it out of, a mate gourd. After haggling with the lady who was selling, I picked up one for 5 bucks and definitely felt one step closer to being argentine.
Since lucas lives in San telmo, I decided to stop by his place and chill. When I arrive, him, his roommate and his friend who was visiting are all sitting there drinking bottles of champagne. Of course, I couldn't turn that down and that's basically how I spent my afternoon/evening. Sitting around Lucas' apartment, windows open, looking down on the street and drinking champagne. Love it. Also, in Lucas' neighborhood there's a really awesome parade/fair/market that goes on on Sundays, so we could see everything from the window. At one point, there was someone with a sign that said "Abrazos Gratis" (free hugs) and lucas and I could not pass it up! WE ran downstairs, and went into the street and got our free hugs. When I hugged the lady, she laughed and passed me the sign. Apparently, when you hug someone here with the free hug sign, you don't get just the hug, you acutally get the sign and you have to start giving free hugs until you can pass the sign on. We sat there for a while, hugging strangers and having a blast, and picked up another bottle of champagne. Awesome. Awesome. At 9pm, the sun is still shining and I decided to go home.. So now here I am, sitting at my hostel on the internet and planning to go out. We are going to go out to a bar with the Argentines that we went to dinner with a few nights ago. I promised myself I wouldn't go out, but I guess that went out the window. Someone help me. Oh, and one more thing, I have a really large blister on my leg and I don't know where the hell it came from. I though it was a bite at first, but it's getting worse and I'm actually starting to worr. I'm definitely going to buy some health travel insurance on monday and go to the doctor because this thing does not look pretty. Not good!

Peace,
Rob

Weird Moment of the day:
I get on the bus today (another bad decision) and we're flying through the streets at high speeds. When it comes time to get off the bus, the driver literally slows down ,(not a stop), opens the doors ,and I literally had to jump off of a moving bus. It wasn't going that fast, but 1) They don't always stop near the curb so I basically had to jump out of the bus and run across two lanes of traffic until i got to the sidewalk, and 2) IT's STILL A MOVING BUS! Definitely one of the most frightening moments of my life, a simple bus ride across Buenos Aires. Lovin' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment