Sunday, November 6, 2011

Life in Argentina - Day 37

 Roberto Jeremías Bútler on Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 9:47pm

What's up? I'm just hanging out in my bedroom, wasting my life away. Today was a complete waste of a day... I got back from the club at about 7 am (actually, that's kinda early) and passed out. It's now 10pm, Rachel is still sleep, and I've barely left the house today. Thank goodness today is a holiday, otherwise there's no chance in hell that I would have ever made it to school!

Anyways, yesterday was rather interesting. I woke up again at 11am and got ready to sign the lease at my new apartment. I've found a really awesome, huge studio apartment in Recoleta. It's only 4 blocks away from where I used to live, so I'm really happy about that. My rent: $499 x month for a fully furnished apartment, in the nicest neighborhood right in the middle of the city. Holy shit batman, that's insane! Do you kids have any clue how much that same apartment would cost in Russian Hill or the Upper East Side? Anyways,I found out that the lady I thought was the landlord is actually the landlord's secretary. I asked who the landlord was, and she said that it was a "senora". Great. Great. I'm willing to bet my life savings that my landlord is probably a 75 year old, stuck up, rich Recoleta bitch who will throw me out if I do ANYTHING wrong. I have respect for my elders, but seriously kids, you've gotta watch out for these Recoleta bitches, they are evil! THe landlord's secretary then proceeded to tell me that she LOVED black people because they brought good luck. Well, that's not something you hear every day, especially in the USA.

I'm really concerned because there's 24 hour security in my new building. Normally this would make most people smile and feel secure, but I'm really afraid that the doorman will tell my landlord about my ridiculous lifestyle. Who else drags 5 Brazilians, 3 French people, and another handful of Argentines into their apartment at 7 am for an afterparty? He's right at the front too, so he's going to have to see all of this. Let's see how long I last at this place! If I get kicked out of this one, I've decided to take all my belongings to the cemetery and call it home. Some of the mausoleums are so big in Recoleta cemetery, I definitely could bring my stuff there... And even better, when someone asked where I lived, I could still just say Recoleta and I wouldn't be lying! Of course this would never happen, but shit like this probably could fly in Buenos Aires and Argentines wouldn't even blink an eye.

Anyways, last night, Rachel and I got invited to a house party out in Palermo Hollywood. Palermo Hollywood is an area of Palermo that's super cool, nice restaurants and bars, but I could never live there because it's so f'in far. The house is owned by 4 professional poker players, 3 Americans and 1 Swede. They moved down to Buenos Aires and play poker on the internet, and apparently make assloads of cash. The house was insane, it was definitely one of the coolest houses I've seen here in Buenos Aires, by far. The party was actually pretty lame because it was filled with a bunch of American douchebags and a few stereotypical trashy American sluts who didn't even speak a lick of castellano. I pretty much spent the whole party scoping out people and trying to figure out who was Argentine and who was American. The alcohol was endless, I've never seen so many Quilmes stacked into one fridge. Eitehr I drank more than I thought or someone spiked my drink, but on the way to the club (left the party at 5 and went to the club), I passed out. Rachel woke me up and asked me if I would still be ok to dance, I guess since I responded yes, we entered Bahrein and danced (or probably leaned against the wall with my eyes closed) for a few hours. Actually, Bahrein is probably the only club that I have ever slept in. Last year when I was here, the music was so awful at Bahrein and I was so tired...I fell asleep standing up. It was really embarrassing, who else could fall asleep in the middle of a club, standing up, while electronic music is playing so loud that it almost makes your eardrums explode? Needless to say, I will never go back to Bahrein again. All 3 times that I have been there I've had horrible experiences.

On the agenda for tonight: Going to a Swedish houseparty in San Telmo, then going with my Swiss friend Ishi and Rachel to a hip hop club in Palermo.. first time that I'll be going to a club with REAL music.. Get excited kids!

Ok kids, i'm out of here. It's 10:40, and I've gotta wake up Rachel. Stay tuned! But first, everyday, I will list 3 random things that I LOVE/things that are weird about Buenos Aires.. After reading all of these, I hope you freaks will understand why I love this city so much.

1) One of the Indian restaurants doesn't actually have delivery, so what they do is hail a cab off the street, put your Indian food in the cab, the cab driver actually delivers your food, and you have to pay the price of the food + cab. So bizarre.

2) Cars actually speed up when you cross the street and sometimes switch lanes just to hit you. No joke.

3) Random people here read your Facebook profile, add you as a friend if they think you are cool, send you a message and invite you out with them/or their friends... and it's totally normal here.

This city is NUTS. Hip-hop club, here I come.. let's see what adventures you can bring me tonight!

Peace
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment