Sunday, November 6, 2011

Uruguay - Day 1


 Roberto Jeremías Bútler on Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 7:02pm


Hey there everyone... Im sorry, I have no idea why I stopped writing my notes all of a sudden. I really enjoyed writing them but I got busy in Buenos Aires, so i wasnt online so much.. Anyways, Im still in South America and loving it. Facing the reality of going home on Saturday, starting my professional life at AlixPartners on Monday really freaks me out. This month has been nothing but incredible and I dont know what to do without my beloved Buenos Aires. BA is truely one of a kind.
Anyways, I decided to take a trip somewhere because since travel is relatively cheap and Im surrounded by many countries, why not add another to my list? My choice: Uruguay. Uruguay is not very hot on the international scene, but I heard it was a hidden treasure in South America. Good nightlife, cheap as hell and miles and miles of gorgeous beaches. Anyways, I bought my ticket yesterday for Uruguay... Destination: A small town called Colonia, one of the Unesco World Heritage sights.. its beautiful. The ticket was only 30 bucks, and the best part about it is that its only 1 hr ferry ride from Buenos Aires. So, heres how my day went:
Woke up this morning at 10:00 and my ferry was scheduled to depart at 12:30. Well, last night we went out hardcore. With the Russian guys, some new Brazilians and some British people, we went to the biggest club in Buenos Aires, Crobar. The night was very wild, at the hostel the Russians wanted to do another vodka night. We set out 5 plates of cheese and a bottle of vodka in the middle and just went to town. As you know, there are no chasers so basically you just sit down with 4 friends and go to town on shots of vodka while eating cheese and vegetables. After that was over, I stood up and I was completely trashed. My friend in the states, Jonathan Sulami, gave my information to his cousin from Israel who was travelling in S. America. He contacted me, and I told him to come to the hostel and party with us. He arrived to the hostel around 2, and he looks exactly like my friend Jonathan, they could be twins. Anyways, we all left to Crobar completely trashed. When we arrived, Pavel the russian guy wanted to do another vodka bottle. We ended up getting VIP, went upstairs and ordered a bottle of vodka to the table. Its so cool getting VIP everywhere in buenos aires, its so cheap. I think we paid like 40 pesos each (6 guys), which is about 13 dollars to split a bottle of vodka in VIP át the biggest club in Buenos Aires. Anyways, after the second bottle of vodka, we were all absoultely smashed, (shots again). I dont remember much except for meeting alot of Israelis and dancing and screaming. When I got home, I ended up sleeping in the living room of the hostel and thank God the staff remembered to wake me up. I got up, still drunk and I decided there was no way I could catch my ferry in 2.5 hours. I had the guy at the front desk call the ferry company, Buquebus, to change my reservation. I changed it for 5 oclock.. I slept some more, got in a taxi to the port and hopped on the ferry.
The ferry ride was very short, only an hour. It was pretty uneventful, nothing crazy happened unfortunately. I love when crazy things happen, like I try my hardest to seek them out. Anyways, after a boring ferry ride I got out and went to customs. I didnt fill out my form or anything because I didnt have a pen, so when I got to customs I asked the lady for a pen. She looked me at me and said, whatever, dont worry about it just go through. Hint hitn, for anyone who wants to smuggle goods or anything into Uruguay, go by ferry. Obviously, they dont care at all about customs.
I got to the hostel, checked in and noticed that everything is just very quiet. Its such a small city in Colonia, not even close to the hustle and bustle of Buenos Aires. I had the feeling htat I might be a little bit bored, so I decided to go to the beach. Before the beach I purchased a pack of cigs, a liter of beer, 1 bag of chips, a lighter, and a pepsi for rougly 7 dollars. They werent lying kids, this place is cheap. I basically just walked around all day looking for the beach, finally found it but had to move my spot because this dog kept bothering me. I was sitting there and this stray dog comes up to me, starts sniffing me, curls down next to me. I ignore him for a while, until he got up, took a shit right next to me and thats where I drew the line. I got up and started walking away but he kept following me. Like, all throughout the city. It was absoultely ridiculous. At one point, I bolted across traffic really fast at an intersection, hoping that he would follow suit but not actually make it across if you know what I mean. Nope, that didnt work, he made it. Anyways, I had to go into a store to dodge him and he finally got off my tail.
I went to watch the sunset while drinking my beer. It was incredible, very beautiful. The town is gorgeous, set right on the water and its like a quaint village. Definitely the prettiest thing Ive seen so far in SA.The only thing is that I cant get Buenos Aires out of my head. I cant stop thinking about Argentina, even though im on vacation in Uruguay. All i want to do is go back to Buenos Aires, walk through Palermo and recoleta. Ugh, its really frustrating how much I love that city, its like I kinda feel a hole in my heart now. Its ridiculous becuase Ive only been here for like 6 hours and I miss it so much. Oh well, Ill be back on wednesday. Im going to the capital city Montevideo first, and Ill be back Wednesday. So kids, thats how my first day in Uruguay went. Ill keep you posted tomorrow how Montevideo is. Ill tell you one thing, I never dreamed in a million years Id be in Uruguay. Its so cool. Ive wanted to go places liek France, Germany, Spain etc, but Uruguay was not one of my first choices. Im happy with what I see though. Its cool here, very laid back. I just cant get Buenos Aires out of my mind though. I love you Argentina.

Peace,
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment