Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mexico City - Day 4 & 5

 Roberto Jeremías Bútler on Monday, May 19, 2008 at 2:52pm

Well, hello there kids. For anyone who took the time to read my Mexico City: Day 3 entry (longest entry ever), I'm pretty sure you can imagine how I felt on the morning of Day 4.
I woke up at around 11am or so, still dressed in my clothes from the night before. I was actually extremely intoxicated and so was Pavel, so we decided to make an ass of ourselves in the hotel. We decided to go to BICE Bistro in the hotel for a nice meal. I was so drunk reading the menu I couldn't decide what to get, so I just ended up getting chilaquiles and an egg omelette. It was pretty delicious, I scarfed them down like there was no tomorrow. I love chilaquiles and I'm hoping to find them in America when I return. We kept joking with the waiter and for some reason, she kept calling me Mark. I thought it was kinda cool to be called Senor Mark, so I just went along with it. The customer service in Mexico is outstanding, people are so attentive and cater to your every need without question. I guess it's pretty obvious I'm big on customer service since I talk about it in every entry, but it really makes me happy. Anyways, Pavel was drunk so he gave her a ridiculous tip, so of course she kept smiling and joking with us.
We stumbled down the stairs and went back up to the room to prepare for the day. I thought I'd finally go see the city, but I was too hungover to move. Why does this always happen to me when I'm on vacation? I'm an expert on the nightlife, but unless I'm in a city for more than 1 week, it's really hard to go see the city. It started to rain heavily, so I didn't feel so useless staying in the hotel. I kept sleeping on and off ,watching movies, listening to Russian music and contemplating throwing up all day.
At 7pm, I finally woke up and decided to go see the city. I wanted to go to the top of the "Torre Latino" to catch a good view of the city. I hopped in a taxi by myself for the first time (not bad at all) and I made it there in one piece. I literally was fearing for my life thanks to my Lonely Planet books about how dangerous hailing a taxi can be. Originally I wasn't going to hail a taxi but how can you resist when the taxis at the hotel cost over $25 to get to your destination, and street taxis cost $4??!?! I went to the top of the tower, 41 stories in an old elevator, and I got to see the city from above. Btw, the attendant who was operating the elevator REEKED of alcohol, so I was kinda scared we would all plummet to our deaths. Anywyas, I took lots of pictures of Mexico City from up top. The city is so freaking huge, it's unbelievable. By far the biggest city I've ever been to, it's spectacular. One thing I noticed about Mexico city is that it's really hard to walk and climb stairs. The city is 7217 feet above sea level (2200 meters), so it's easy to get out of breath and feel like you're going to pass out. Not good.
Anyways, I returned back to the hotel and met up with Cesar for drinks. I met two of his friends, Ismael y Roberto and we all went together to Ocean Drive to have drinks. Ocean Drive was crazy.. it was some girl's birthday party and she was soooo trashed that she kept crying about everything. Between sobs, she kept trying to hit on me and I was not interested at all. This bitch was crazy, so I just watched her cry and scream from a distance. I felt very ill still, and instead of throwing up, Cesar's friend Ismael recommended that I just drink tequila instead. Mexicans seem to never take medicine, they cure EVERYTHING with food and drink. Even though tequila is what got me feeling dodgy in the first place, somehow it worked as a cure. How can something that makes you feel like you want to die makes you good as new? Around 2 hrs later enters a VERY drunk Pavel with a new girl by his side. We all get together, along with a new girl from Ocean Drive, and we got decided to leave and go out. We cram into one small car, packed like sardines, screaming and listening to Pavel sing Russian music.
We arrived at CABARET, a really upscale club in Polanco. When I entered the club, it was heaven. Very nice, amazing music, upscale and really hip. I love posh nightlife and it got 10X better when we got a table upstairs in VIP. We ended up with 3 bottles of tequila at ANOTHER bottle service and it just got out of hand. Everyone was dancing with each other, tequila shots, leaning off the balcony looking down at the people dancing.. At one point, I got on this miniature table and it broke right through! I didn't want to be charged for it, so we just kinda flipped it over and hoped for the best. It got kinda weird when Pavel turned angry Russian and started punching everyone in our group. I got slapped instead of punched, but he was doing it out of friendship. I guess that's the way Russians show you how much they like you, they punch the shit out of you. Cesar's friends got punched in the stomach, I got slapped in the face, it was pretty funny now that I look back on it. Bitch wild. Anyways, I hung outside for a while by myself talking to randoms and practicing my Spanish. We were all wasted and we finally left. I wasn't too bad fortunately, but Cesar's friends were fucked and one even threw up in front of the Camino Real Hotel. Thanks bottle service :)

Day 5:
Day 5 was an excellent way to end my trip to Mexico. I started off in the morning by going to an authentic Mexican restaurant for lunch and eating the best tacos I've ever had. I cannot wait until I can upload my pictures online so you bitches can see how amazing these tacos were. I left and finally did what I do best... catch the metro. I have an obsession with public transportation, especially metros. I always judge a city on what it's metro is like.. The metro is the way to see the real city, the real people. Every metro has something unique that makes it stand out as well. Paris' doors open before the train actually stops, London's comes almost every minute, Berlin's is over and underground, etc. Well, in Mexico city, the stops have names, but they are also represented by little pictures. How weird is that? I don't know why, but some of the stops on the map will have a Bird, some a flower, some a building. I didn't understand it AT ALL, but it was pretty damn cool. Also, it only cost .20 cent for the metro, so that's just ridiculous.
I toured the center of the city all day long and I felt pretty bad that I didn't do this earlier in my vacay. The city is beautiful, historic, big, full of people, lively and just a great place to be. I'm definitely returning now to Mexico City to see all of this again. Maybe my way of being sure I'll return to a city is to not do shit my first time around, and actually see it the second time. Fuck you Trevi Fountain, I've got my own methods! I did get a good bit of tourism in that day and lots of pictures, so I was happy. I recommend everyone to go to DF, it's a city that has EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you want. Upscale clubs, small cantinas, expensive restaurants, street vendors, neighborhoods for all, amazing wealth, unbelievable poverty, 7-11 on every corner, historic world heritage sites, fake passports.. whatever you want in Mexico City, you can get.
Cesar picked me up at 4 in front of the Palacio de Bellas Artes and he was accompanied by a friend, Alex. We drove around the city for a while reminding me how huge it was, and we stopped to pick up Ismael. We drove for a while until Cesar led me to my surprise. He had been promising me the best beer in Mexico City , and we finally did it! The place we got it from looked shady as hell. I didn't know where we were going, it was raining, the place had no doors and it didn't even have a name. After I tasted the beer, all my questions went out the window. Simply amazing. It's a beer mixed with chili, salt, lime, everything. I know it sounds weird at first, but it's the best beer ever. They served it in one liter plastic cups to go, so we just took them and got on the road. How cool is that, beer in to go cups from an establishment? Enough to keep you satisifed and also indetectable by cops.. brilliant. PS, you can't drink on the street in Mexico. Well, I guess in sinful places like Cancun or Acapulco anything goes, but the police are kinda serious in DF. PSS, driving here is outrageous. Worse than Buenos Aires.
We drove around for a while laughing and joking with Cesar and his friends. We went up a mountain, took some awesome pictures of the ridiculously large city from above, and avoided killing dogs along the way .. dont ask. We stopped at a restaurant where I had quite possibly the best quesadilla of my life and the setting was even cooler. Homemade, up in the mountains eating quesadillas by a fire.
We made our way back to the hotel late that evening and I said my goodbyes to Cesar and company. In the hotel, Pavel and I began to drink beers and listen to more Russian music. There were no more apples to juggle since we destroyed them, so we decided to leave and go have dinner. The area that we went to was SHADY, because people kept sticking their head in the taxi doors begging us to come to their place to drink. I think these places were strip clubs bc everyone seemed pretty sleazy and desperate for us to come in. At one point , one guy did over 2 for 1 drinks, but after realizing how shady he was, I declined. It was so ridiculous, people were literally trying to open the doors of the taxi to get us to come inside. We were just lookin for a restaurant, so it was pretty annoying when we had people following us whispering, "hey, prostitute?" "taxi?" "2 x 1 special" "table dance?". It was like they all knew each other, and they all knew the same places to recommend to us. Even the street vendor tried to offer us prostitutes when we asked for a restaurant to eat in.
After all the shadiness, we made our way to a restaurant where it looked normal, and we ate and drank a shit ton of wine. We left and started walking around the area again, this time a bit drunker, so we took one of the guys up on hsi offer about showing us a club. The first club we went into had 0 people inside, and the staff kept offering us things. I felt a bit weird, so we left there and stupidly took another suggestion from the creepbag who had been following us all night. We asked for aplace where normal people go to have fun, and he promised us that he knew of one. We got inside the place, and there were 6 pretty unattractive girls sitting at tables.. we were the only other people in there. As soon as we got inside, the girls all stood up simultaneously, came up to us and started to kiss our cheeks and introduce themselves. Ive never been overwhelmed by so many prostitutes in my life. They were all pretty old and ugly too, so we were kinda creeped out and left. We asked our "guide" what the hell was that, and he said they were just normal girls lookint o have fun. Finally he broke down and told us he was lying, and if we wanted to fuck we could pay $50 US Dollars. I told him I'd rather save it and not get AIDS, but I don't think he was too impressed. We hopped in a taxi (not one of the creepy ones) and sped home.

I did another Homer Simpson nap (3:45-4:00am), and packed my bags at 4 and jetted to airport in a taxi. At least the American Airlines Admiral Club lounge was open, so I went inside, ate some breakfast and attempted not to pass out so I wouldn't miss my flight.


I made my flight obviously because I'm here now, 5 hrs later, at work, tired as hell and dragging. Less than 8 hrs ago, I was roaming the streets of Mexico City dodging prostitues, and now I'm here in Dallas analyzing data and writing notes on my lunch break. All good things must come to an end, but I promsie you Mexico. I'll be back. Watch out Buenos Aires, you've got some major competition.

Peace,
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment