Sunday, November 6, 2011

First Night Out in Dallas

 Roberto Jeremías Bútler on Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 8:34pm

Well kids... Argentina is over. Over and done. Very sad and I'm stilll struggling to come to terms with it. Sometimes I still drink mate and speak Spanish to myself but besides that, it's done.

I'm now working in Dallas @ AlixPartners as an analyst. Completely different lifestyle. I wake up at 6:30 (still dancing at that time in Buenos Aires), catch the train/bus to work , and I'm in the office by 8:30 analyzing data. Weird, huh? Although this is a completely different lifestyle, I kind of like it actually. Once I start travelling to client sites, it'll be even better! I've got a new amazing laptop and brand new Palm Treo with full internet, so perks like this keep Rob smiling.

I'm trying to find ways to adapt to Dallas and like it, but at the same time keep my European/South American way of life. One way of doing this is by taking public transportation. What worried me the most about moving back was the thought of sitting in heavy traffic every morning with my coffee cup , cig, while honking the horn at outrageous Dallas drivers at 7am. Well kids, FUCK THAT. I've found out the bus runs from Rowlett all the way out to Dallas, and it gets there in less than 30 minutes. How awesome is that? Now I just sit on the bus with my laptop (looking like I'm working when in reality I'm playing minesweeper) and arrive in dowtown D in about 30 minutes. I love public transportation and the fact that Dallas has a decent network of buses and trains really shocked me. Definite plus for Dallas. So anyways, I decided to go out on Saturday for my first night out in Dallas, to see what its all about. Here's how it went. Bitch wild of course, what did you expect?

I hopped in my car( weird since I've been taking the bus EVERYWHERE lately) and drove to uptown Dallas to join Jonathan Sulami at his place for a preparty. My game plan was to drink as much as possible at the preparty (simple but efficient) and with David Tedone coming along with me, that goal was pretty simple to accomplish. We enter the apartment and we are greeted by alot of dark haired Jewish girls all dressed in black, taking sake bombs. Another +. I'm a little timid at first, just meeting people and keeping quiet and sneaking in a few vodka shots here and there. It starts to get a little crazy when we did the rounds of sake bombs and before you knew it I was smashed. I was having a blast already but of course it gets better... I'm outside smoking a cigarette and a big group of people come upstairs into the party.... RUSSIANS! Since Pavel left, I havent really had the opportunity to speak Russian so I'm pretty thrilled at this point. Needless to say, the party got wild! More vodka shots, lots of Russian speaking, sake bombs, dancing, screaming, hookah and all other kinds of good stuff.
Since I was meeting Lauren Smith at the bars in uptown I decided we should leave since it was already getting late and we were beginning to get to drunk. I don't even remember the walk to the bar (Uptown Bar and Grill) so pardon me if the details are a bit fuzzy. We got to the bar and I immediately greeted Lauren and started dancing wild! I remember that we went inside of the kitchen at the bar to talk, which at that point seemed like a completely acceptable idea. Surprisingly, no one caught us so we sat in the kitchen for a bit, eating pickles and talking. I ran into one of the cooks who only spoke Spanish... so instead of getting kicked out of the kitchen, I worked my Spanish and made a new friend. I asked him if I could pee in the kitchen and of course he declined my request, but he did take me out back behind the dumpsters to show me a spot where all the cooks piss when they are working. For all I know, I could have been taken out back to be slaughtered but I really needed to piss! After some more dancing with Lauren, I went back in the kitchen to find my friend but he kinda disappeared and this time I was greeted by some American bitch who threw me out of the kitchen. I tried explaning to her that I had a friend who worked there but since I was slurring my words and completely trashed, I don't think she bought it.
I remember more dancing wild with Lauren and some other random non cute girl who kept trying to kiss my hand (weird).. and also some karaoke. I kept asking the guy to put on Crazy Bitch b/c I was going to sing it but he kept telling me no and began to get pissed off. I think I went on stage and just started singing with some random people , I didn't even know the song! Now that I look back on it, I was absolutely obnoxious and this is not College Station anymore. It's not that fashionable to be drunk as sin falling down in the bars so I really really have to get accustomed to that. People were kind of staring, especially the ones who were sitting down having drinks at the tables. I guess you have to learn the local customs when you go to a new city! But seriously, I've had all my party training in College Station, Barcelona, Madrid and Buenos Aires, so what the hell do you expect?

After bumming a cigarette, fucking with the jukebox and talking to the locals, the bar closed and we were all forced to leave. I really must have been causing a scene because when I left, the bouncer said "Rob, put your drink out, you know you can't bring that outside", so either he heard someone shouting my name or I'm already on the blacklist at a number of uptown Dallas bars. I think I lost everyone except for David Tedone and this is where it gets really fuzzy. I remember that I convinced a taxi driver to take us back to Jonathans house for free but for some reason he got really angry and kicked us out after a half of a mile. I don't think we had the same agreement. We stood on McKinney ave puzzled, drunk and unsure of how to get to Jonathan's house. So I did what I do best when I'm out of options (and cash), hitchhike (autostop for my European readers). We found some nice couple who agreed to drive us to Jonathan's house.. The lady was not having it at all but the man was really eager to pick up hitchhikers. The lady straight out told us that she would have never ever picked us up in a milllion years but her husband is crazy. Once again, I could have been slaughtered but we made it back to Jonathans in one piece.

At the afterparty, I remember getting a quick lapdance by one of the girls at th eparty, blasting Columbia Pictures and other Russian rap with the Russians. What a wonderful night. I really like partying with Jonathan, he's out of control and his friends are awesome. I'm definitely looking for more parties in uptown.

I arrive back at home in Rowlett the next morning, partially still drunk and very hungover. My mom was a little appalled at how much I reeked of alcohol and my inability to retell the story from the night before. Welcome to what it's like living at home. It's really embarassing, I'm lying on the living room floor, watching Friends, The Oscars, Tennis and Jeopardy (perfect day) completely hungover. Oh well. Back to the office tomorrow! 6:30, bright and 

No comments:

Post a Comment